In 1995 the east end of St Peter's Cathedral was reordered to the present arrangement of the sanctuary in the crossing, with the Blessed Sacrament Chapel behind. The Jubilee triptych was returned to its original position upon the High Altar and the screen separating the sanctuary from the chancel was erected. The sanctuary floor was raised and tiled. The old cathedra was removed to the north transept and a new one, designed to match the altar and the ambo (thus stressing the link between the authority of the Bishop and the Sacraments), was placed behind the main altar. The lighting fixtures throughout the Cathedral were redesigned; the Corona Lucis ('crown of light') over the altar is particularly noteworthy. The Lady Chapel was redecorated and the Blessed Sacrament returned to the tabernacle on the High Altar. The interior of the Cathedral was embellished with decorative paintwork and stencilling throughout. Francis B. Roberts was the architect.

That's the story so far... click here to return to the parish history homepage.
The 1995 reordering
St Peter's and presbytery under construction 1857-1858
Interior of St Peter's on its opening in 1859
St Peter's is raised to Cathedral status with the formation of the new diocese of Lancaster in 1924
The Cathedra (bishop's throne) in 1924
Alterations were made after the liturgical reforms of the 1970s
The Cathedral was reordered in 1995
Lancaster Cathedral 1859-2009
The nave and sanctuary after the 1995 reordering