To mark the fiftieth anniversary of St Peter's church several building projects were undertaken. The work was concentrated around the High Altar in the chancel. The original altar was removed and replaced by the present altar bearing an image of the Last Supper as a carved frontal. The great carved and painted triptych was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, who also oversaw the decoration of the chapel of St Charles Borromeo. The tiles on the chancel floor were replaced by black and white marble. The nave was also updated in honour of the Jubilee, with the flooring renewed, the walls repainted and the stonework cleaned. The old pine benches were replaced with the present oak pews, and all of the interior doors were renovated. The area beneath the organ loft was enclosed by a glazed screen to shield the nave against the wind. Various chapels also received 'facelifts' and the original heating system was modernized.
to continue reading - the next page covers the foundation of the Lancaster Diocese in 1924.