Little was done to the fabric of the Cathedral building to mark its centenary in 1959; work instead focussed on the organ and the Stations of the Cross. The Cathedral's impressive pipe organ, a gift from Richard Leeming of Greaves House in 1888, was in need of refurbishment following seventy years of faithful service to the Parish and Diocese. Little is known about exactly what was done, but by the centenary celebrations in 1959 the organ had received enough care and attention to ensure another fifty years of dependable musical service.
The original Stations of the Cross were purchased in Paris for just under £200 in 1861. Each station was a large painted canvas, and the necessary funds were raised by subscription. For the Jubilee in 1909 each had been framed in oak. These painted images were replaced in 1959 with the present carved Stations of the Cross. The centenary Mass was celebrated by Archbishop Heenan of Liverpool, who later became cardinal Archbishop of Westminster. On the photograph are also Bishop Flynn and Monsignor Canon Brimley, together with the Mayor, Mrs Pickard and councillor Hayton and his wife.
to continue reading - the next page covers the 1970s and 1980s.